Monday, October 6, 2008

Project the Seventh: Get a haircut (you lousy hippie)

Good news!

  • I have an honors thesis advisor. She is exactly the advisor I wanted, and is super, super-cool.
  • I came up with some new thesis ideas. Even that hair-tugging, eye-popping disaster of a VP debate gave me some inspiration, so--silver lining?
  • I just rocked out my climate class midterm, to some extent. Anyway, the atmospheric science kids looked more fried than I did, so I figure I did okay at the very least.
  • Yesterday, my housemate Maxim and I gave each other haircuts. (Eric: "Simultaneously?") No, not at the same time, unfortunately, as he only has one pair of electric clippers. To get an idea of how it looks? See below. My hair grows very very quickly and is difficult to keep short. But I figure a trim every three weeks is still time-saving compared to all the hassle of washing and styling and generally fussing with hair of length greater than one inch.
  • I no longer have much of a cold anymore.
  • Soon they might turn the heat on in my (impossibly drafty, essentially non-insulated, old) house. Not because I don't love wearing socks, corduroys, a sweater, a scarf, a hat, and a hoodie--with the hood up--indoors mid-day, but because it would soon progress to winter-coat weather in the living room. And that would get clumsy. Also, if it were warmer in here the laundry I have hung up on a makeshift clothesline across my bedroom would dry a little faster.
  • Have I mentioned yet how delicious the food at my new house is? I was worried about the structure of the meal plan, but it's been working out well. And the staple foods we buy are just really, really good. It's more expensive than the meal plan at the old co-op, which allows us to buy good-quality, local/organic/both, seasonal whole foods. So we have the Most! Delicious! Butter! from down the road, and nice brown eggs, and delicious cheese, and CSA vegetable boxes, and whole-grain breads, and locally-made organic tofu. The rent here is low enough that it's actually still a bit cheaper overall than living at the Cramm, and I'm starting to realize that food is a nice priority to have. Michael Pollan and all that--if you've got any spare money at all, food can be a good place to spend it, both for your own enjoyment and for the greater environmental good.

No comments: