Sunday, February 22, 2009

In which I attend two birthday parties, and break it down.

Okay, so most of this week I've been hanging out at my officially-least-favorite place, the always-overheated and overly-fluorescently-lit Mann Library, which is also my place of employment and also the only place on campus with the software I'm now using for my thesis research (since no place on campus had my first choice of software). And the software is only on about 30 computers, almost all of which are contained in one classroom which is frequently reserved by teachers teaching classes that absolutely do not utilize the software I so covet, and so the bottom line is that I've been spending a lot of bizarre late-night hours and short time snippets at this library staring at a screen. But every time I come home, something wonderful seems to happen.

Like Tuesday, when Trevor announced at dinner that it was band practice tonight, and our old subletter was coming over, and it was his birthday. So we popped a cake in the oven tout-suite and had a surprise party, with the band winking at each other and bursting spontaneously into folk-band Happy Birthday rendition, and the cake coming in all adorned with single tea light, and it was a nice little evening. I love some live background music for studying, too.

And last night was Gaylord's birthday dance party! And we invited a lot of our friends, but really only house friends, not random people, and so we got this wonderful group of people who were excited, but not too rambunctious, and into dancing but not creepy, and generally had a really good vibe going. And I stayed up until the end! I'm always the one who gets to bed by midnight and wanders down the next morning looking all chipper and realizing I missed all the best bits. This time, I still got up early, since I can't sleep in, but I suspect I might get less chipper as the day wears on. Still, a small accomplishment in a week that has had too many (research-related) setbacks.

No comments: