Saturday, May 9, 2009

In which I again go with the lazy list-style posting

Things I have done since I last posted:

-Had a job interview

-Was offered a job without being told where the position was geographically

-Called back to ask whether that could be remedied in such a way that I still had a job offer

-This is more of a thing I didn't do: hear back from them yet (I called yesterday, so now I'm waiting 'til Monday)

-Got a mysterious call from the government department, which turned out to be a request to schedule a meeting with me the NEXT DAY. To, it turned out, DEFEND my THESIS, a process I was told would NOT happen at all (they told us there was no oral exam portion). Anyway, it seems that if your graders' scores are added up and you're between two levels of honors, they call you into the Director of Undergraduate Studies' office with your advisor and two other readers, and you chat about your project with all the nonchalant brilliance you can pretend to muster. Then they throw you out and discuss.

-Heard I'm graduating summa cum laude, provided I can get my act together and pass my last finals and paper. (Technically, since these are Econ classes, I probably would still graduate if I failed the classes, which would require EXTREMELY poor grades on the finals. I just wouldn't be a double major anymore. But these are things I haven't really calculated and don't want to discover.)

-Convinced myself that evening finals here start at 7:30 p.m., as evening midterms do. Played a little basketball at Matt's house to get my brain all warmed up. Used my newly-limber brain to think, "wait, but they're two-and-a-half hours long instead of one-and-a-half... which means they must start at 7pm..." just as the tower chimed 7 o'clock. Got a ride up to campus, sauntered in all cool-like, and finished early. If ever there were a class in which it was a good idea to pull something so ridiculous, Middle Eastern Politics was it.

-Gathered wild garlic mustard leaves from my backyard and made them into a pretty tasty pesto. This should come in handy later, since...

We're trying out Matt's thermal-weed-killing-machine prototype tonight, since his project advisor let him take it home now that he's done running the trials. But of course, I hear about a metal box with a heating element that gets up to 800 degrees or so, and I don't think, "thermal weed control," I think, "kick-ass pizza oven!" So hopefully we should be using the weed toaster to cook up some delicious pizza topped, fittingly, with weed pesto.

-Just wrote a letter to my state senator, since the New York Times says he's wavering on the governor's same-sex marriage bill.

-Sent a small mother's day parcel. I really hope my creative postage worked.

-Got my absentee ballot for the school budget election!

- Moderate amounts of studying. Eh.

-Returned one of the piles of books in my room. I'm now under 100 checked-out items, and at this rate it'll only take me a couple of weeks past when-I-should-have-graduated to return all their stuff and get my diploma.

No comments: