Saturday, May 22, 2010

In which I have a very productive morning

This morning I did a lot of biking and accomplished all of my shopping/errands without getting hit by any cars at all! I went to Wegmans around 8:30 before things got busy, and then took a chance and went on Rt. 13 over to Northside liquor just as it was opening, which probably looked a little creepy but is really ideal from a traffic perspective. And I did a very adult thing, which was to actually explain to someone there what I wanted and was willing to pay for, so that I could get a useful recommendation, even though that meant saying "I would like some mediocre boxed wine that will go well with a variety of dinners and last a fairly long time while still not being Franzia, please." So that's what I got! Hello, J.P. Chenet!

And then I dropped all that stuff home and went to a local non-profit's garage sale, where I picked up some giant bulletin boards for my office and lugged them over to the office, and then went back and picked up my bike and did a little more food-shopping, and went to the library and had a picnic lunch.

And then:

Lavender-olive oil shortbreads. Mmm!

1 comment:

Ariel White said...

Not because anyone asked me to, but because I always forget what I did, I'm going to write up my made-up cookie recipe here:
I blended about 2/3 (5/8?) cup of sugar with a little palmful (1-2 tbsp?) dried lavender and a big pinch of salt. Then I added a stick of soft butter and maybe a half-cup extra virgin olive oil, along with a bit of lemon zest, to the blender and ran it again, for a while. Then I dumped all that mixture into a bowl with about 3 cups (or was it 2.5?) of flour, mixed it up, and threw it in the fridge. Then I rolled it out, cut it into diamonds, and chilled it on floured baking sheets in the fridge for awhile. I baked it at 300 or 350 (my oven--who really knows?) until just golden and beginning to brown on the bottom. In future, I might cut the sugar a little, and maybe add more lemon?