And yeah, it's a little anticlimactic, dear reader, because we've probably spoken already and so you already know all of these things. But in case you're lurking out there wondering what happened to bespectacled kid with whom you attended undergrad/highschool/that party one time: I got into all the schools to which I applied, except for I got wait-listed at Chicago. So Matt is calling it a win on that 5-cent bet in which he wagered I'd get into all the schools, and I'm calling it an oh-okay-M-if-i-buy-you-a-celebratory-Harvard-burrito-will-you-stop-doing-that-dance sort of win for him. So yeah: I got into University of Rochester, U. Michigan, Princeton, Yale, and Harvard. I don't know where I am going to go; I have to take a bunch of time off work, go on a bunch of free train/bus trips to campuses, and see who takes me out to the nicest dinner. But that's what I'm up to.
A couple of observations about my life recently:
- This weather has been hell on the old sinuses. All the cold-warm-cold business, not fun.
- The snow was also pretty rough on the work productivity front. Basically nobody but us peons came to work for the end of the week, and we were so disgusted at the way our job works and the way our internet/computer-based filesystem works (or, more accurately on both fronts, doesn't work) that we mostly sat around eating coffee cake and bitching about my co-worker who KEEPS BRINGING HER DOG TO WORK.
- Yesterday I was walking downtown at night to meet a friend for drinks, and a police SUV pulled up next to me in the road, and stopped right in the crosswalk. I looked to my left as I waited to cross, and I thought about knocking on their window and asking them to follow basic traffic laws and set a good example for the rest of the community, but didn't really feel like getting shot over something stupid, so didn't. But then, because I was looking at the vehicle (and the officers in front were looking at me), the guy they had in the back started yelling and thumping the (tinted) windows. And I heard him shouting about police harassment and injustice, and was like wow, I believe you, and I have absolutely no idea what to tell you or do about it. The nature of police power in this country is so problematic already, and in such a small town? Terrifying.
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Matt wasn't the only one to say that. I think everyone except you expected you to be accepted where ever you would want to go. But it's nice that you don't have a big head to go with your big brain.
Post a Comment